What is CWEA-only membership?
Wastewater professionals, and other interested citizens, can join the California Member Association (CWEA) of the Water Environment Federation (WEF), without joining WEF. To join CWEA only, any individual can check the CWEA member only box on the Membership Application and send in a check for the CWEA dues. CWEA membership applications are processed in the CWEA Oakland office. CWEA assigns a CWEA membership number which has 4 or 5 digits.
What is WEF membership?
If individuals join WEF, either through CWEA or directly through WEF and are employed in California , they automatically receive CWEA membership. There is no need to join CWEA separately if you are also a WEF Member. CWEA dues are included in the WEF member price.
If you are applying for WEF membership through CWEA, CWEA will enter your information and forward WEF dues to WEF headquarters in Alexandria , Virginia . CWEA will send you a membership card once we receive your new membership number assigned by the WEF office. This option can take about 6 to 8 weeks to process.
If you are applying for WEF membership directly through WEF, you may call WEF Member Services at 1-800-666-0206 with any questions. Once WEF has received and processed your application, they will send your information to CWEA where it is entered into our database. CWEA will send you a membership card in 6 to 8 weeks.
Does membership in CWEA also mean I am a member of a Local Section?
Yes. All CWEA renewals and membership fees include a fee for Local Section Membership. Local Sections are not be responsible for billing their own members, rather all billing is done through the CWEA office, and a portion of your membership dues will go towards a Local Section Membership of your choice. This means that all Local Section members are also CWEA members. If you would like to join more than one Local Section you may do so, just click here http://www.cwea.org/pdf/localsections/localsection_additional_memform.pdf. You will receive information about your Local Section with your membership card after your membership is processed.
What do my CWEA membership dues provide? How do I benefit from CWEA membership?
The largest benefit to those who join CWEA, is the opportunity to get information that will help you professionally, increase your salary through your knowledge and ability as a wastewater professional, and access to information and support for professional problems that arise in your field of wastewater treatment. Through its training programs; technical articles in the Wastewater Professional; study sessions for the TCPexam, and through the certification program, wastewater professionals are able to expand or maintain cutting-edge knowledge in the wastewater field.
- CERTIFICATION: CWEA’s certification program is the premier wastewater testing program in 6 disciplines of wastewater treatment. The programs and services are available to members at discounted prices.
- TRAINING: Annual Conferences in April each year, bring together 2,000 wastewater professionals, and top quality speakers on wastewater topics in over 8 concurrent tracks. Additionally, several Specialty Conferences are held annually, focusing on topics in emerging issues, Industrial Waste Treatment and Inspection; Biosolids; Electrical and Instrumentation and Safety. Most Local Sections offer monthly meetings with training as a component.
- NEW PRODUCTS: Exhibits by manufacturers and suppliers of wastewater equipment and products provide conference attendees with the opportunity to evaluate, compare and gain information on state of the art developments from 150-200 exhibitors at the annual conference.
- AWARDS AND RECOGNITION: The Awards Program provides recognition for outstanding individuals and agencies in more than 20 categories of wastewater treatment. Only CWEA members are eligible.
- SCHOLARSHIP: CWEA’s Scholarship Program annually awards CWEA members with up to $5,000 in funding for education.
- CONTACTS: Membership Directory available on-line on the CWEA WEB site, in a members-only area, provides contacts at your finger-tips.
- LEADERSHIP OPPORTUNITY : Leadership opportunities at the CWEA and Local Section level provide members with opportunities to develop new leadership skills; contribute to the profession and professional recognition to enhance professional standing within the industry.
- IMMEDIATE INFORMATION: CWEA has a very large, very sophisticated WEB -site, with a huge array of information posted, and updated daily. Among the offerings are educational calendars that include listings statewide, and a jobs available site.
- FUN : Life is short – the profession is a hard one. CWEA offers an opportunity to meet new people who know and share your professional concerns, but who also know how to enjoy what they do, and they can show you how to make what you do a more enjoyable experience.
How long does it take to process my application?
Applications sent directly to CWEA are processed within 2-3 weeks, with new member packets mailed within 4 weeks.
Applications sent to WEF take 6-8 weeks, as do WEF applications sent to CWEA, as CWEA must wait for WEF to process a member number before we can issue new member cards.
Can my agency pay for my membership at the same time as other employees?
Agencies can pay for multiple employee memberships at one time, with a single check. The Agency should simply attach a list of the names of all individuals for whose membership that check is paying. A recent survey shows that 70% of membership dues are paid for by the employee’s agency.
I work for a company, not an agency. Can I join as a Corporate member?
CWEA and WEF both have a Corporate membership category. However CWEA benefits are different from those of WEF. When a company applies for a WEF Corporate membership, the company currently pays $652 and receives several publications (see the CWEA membership application for titles) however, only 1 designated individual in the company receives CWEA Association membership. Look at the CWEA membership application for specific benefits.
When a company has a WEF Corporate membership, more than 1 employee may use the WEF member number to receive the member rate at a WEF event. However, for attendance at a CWEA event, only the individual employee designated as the CWEA member may use the member number to receive the member rate, since CWEA currently has only individual members.